The beard is facial hair that shows character and attitude. It leaves an impression of toughness and wisdom. Once you decide to grow a beard, you have to maintain that level of dedication to keep your beard in style. Many beard styles ideas online can help you decide on what bearded look best suits you. Just be confident in the beard style you’re wearing and you can make ladies swoon when you walk by.
Modern beard ideas suggest many potential rough and rugged looks for men. Women usually find bearded men very sexual and stimulating. So, if you’re bent on growing and maintaining a beard, better take down notes and bookmark concepts as you read on. Here’s the quick insight to couple of best beard styles ideas every beard buff should take a note of.
- 1 How to Trim a Beard and Goatee
- 2 Common Beard Styles and their Names
- 3 Beard Styles for different Face Shape
- 4 Identify Your Face Shape To Choose The Perfect Beard Style:
- 5 Do You Want to Grow a Goatee without a Mustache?
- 6 Picking Up the Right Equipments
- 7 Top Beard Ideas to Consider
- 8 Beard Maintenance
How to Trim a Beard and Goatee
Whether you prefer to grow a full beard or a goatee, keep in mind the following pointers. These will help you improve and maintain your manly facial hair:
- Buy a reliable, high quality beard trimmer.
- Give your beard or goatee a good wash and dry it thoroughly.
- Assess your beard or goatee by using a clear mirror. Do this to make sure that you spot the areas that need trimming.
- Use a premium electric shaver to shave the areas carefully.
- Trim your mustache. Just comb your mustache downwards and trim carefully, so that the hair won’t cover your mouth. Also pay attention to the outer mustache edges. Trim it according to your personal preference and taste.
- With a razor trimmer, trim the facial hair on each side of your chin evenly.
- Look at the area you’re trimming, with the use of a mirror. Adjust the trimming when needed.
- Comb down the beard or goatee downwards and trim the hairs with uneven lengths. Take note of the style you want.
- Moisten your face and comb downward and check if you have missed any area.
Common Beard Styles and their Names
1. Chin Strip
While most men try to project a brusque image with their showy and complicated facial hairstyle, there are some men who just want simple whiskers and still keep their manliness intact. They are wearing chin strip, a facial hairstyle which is almost face-naked.
Basically, a chin strip is a long soul patch extending all the way down to the tip of one’s chin. There are two styles of chin strips. The first style is a rectangle of whiskers wherein the width is uniform from top to bottom. This is the most common chin strip. The other style has the strip’s bottom part shaped into a point.
Growing a Chin Strip
Perhaps you’ll think that it’s just an easy style so there’s not much of an effort. Yes it’s true but it is advisable to let it grow to a full beard for at least four weeks or once it reaches about half an inch. This way, you’ll have enough hair for shaping purposes. Also, you may want to determine the particular area where the hair grows. Same is true for other type of facial hair. At any rate, leaving it grows for a specific period of time is necessary if you want to style your facial hair in any way.
Grooming a Chin Strip
Obviously, as the name suggests, the focal point here is your chin area. A chin strip has to be positioned at the center of your chin and should be aligned with your nose. Since it’s just a narrow patch of hair, getting it done real straight is a challenging. Hence, it is recommended to use an electric trimmer with no guard to start the trimming procedures. It’s good to use such a trimmer for it gives a precision line around the beard that you’re working on. It can also be done if you’ve got a steady hand and a safety razor.
Start on the hair below your ears and shave inward. Shave the two sides of your face alternately so that treatment for both sides will be the same. On your chin portion, which is the highlight of this facial hairstyle, systematically shave both sides until you achieve the desired width of the chin strip. Then shave the remaining facial hair using a trimmer with an adjustable guard, making sure the patch is shaven against the grain. Its length should be even. A chin strip as wide as your nose is cool while a narrow chin strip somehow makes a wide jaw look narrower.
2. Full Beard
If you see a man who has hair on his upper lip, across his cheeks, down his sideburns, all around his mouth, and over his chin, completing the circle under his neck, he’s sporting a traditional full beard. Such facial hairstyle connotes manliness, self-confidence, and boldness. Do you think a full beard is just right for you? Well, it is so classy when it’s well groomed but rugged when it’s not. Of course, it has to be maintained.
Usually, the longer the beard, the more eccentric a man seems. Do you want such an image? But some men who portray a bad-boy image tend to grow a scruffy beard. They sport this kind of facial hair for it depicts their sexiness, audacity, and irreverence. Also, scruffy beards imply rebellious style and radiate oozing self-confidence. Furthermore, they simply love their sexy stubble because it attracts women.
Growing a Full Beard
While it’s easier for some men to grow their facial hair anyway they want to, others are having a hard time to achieve a full beard style. Genetics is such an uncontrollable factor affecting one’s choice of facial hairstyle. Most facial hair grows in a mixture of thickness, direction, and color. Therefore instead of those comb-overs and fillers, just work on what you’ve got. Anyway there’s a variation of full beard, might as well just go for what fits your facial hair.
Do not shave for four to six weeks. Don’t even trim from your collarbone to your eyeballs. This is enough time to give an idea where the whiskers grow as well as its direction. Don’t be surprised if you feel itchiness with this. But you’ll be relieved if you apply shampoo and conditioner on your beard to keep it clean. Also, use a premium moisturizer or natural oil such as jojoba to soothe your skin.
Grooming a Full Beard
To make your efforts of growing the beard worthwhile, seek the services of a professional to show you how to properly trim it with the right tools using the right products as well as give some precautionary measures. Afterwards, make sure to have your own tools like trimmer, safety razor, high quality scissors, beard comb, and moustache comb at home. This way, shaving will be easier for you with the right tools.
Complement it with the necessary grooming products like beard shampoo, shaving cream, moisturizer, and an aftershave. Don’t be ashamed to display these items in your bathroom. To make the right shaving and grooming procedures, just follow the manual to avoid unnecessary mishaps. Once done, thoroughly check every angle to ensure you’ve achieved the desired beard style.
3. Goatee Style
A goatee is a type of facial hair that is often misunderstood. Named after a goat, this facial hairstyle is present on the chin and nowhere else. It’s not a combination of mustache and chin beard just like what the 17th century Anthony van Dyke had. But it’s just a small chin beard and nothing else. The cheeks and jawline should be clean-shaven.
Look around you and you’ll see a lot of men wearing a goatee, even popular celebrities like Brad Pitt and Adam Sandler are sporting this facial hairstyle. Why not? If it is indeed well-trimmed, it looks good on every man. It’s just a matter of choosing the style that’s appropriate to your face. Some men have thicker, fuller, and longer goatees than the others. But whatever style it is, the key factor is to keep it well-groomed.
Growing a goatee
- Let the hair on your chin grow freely together with that little soul patch.
- Don’t do anything on it until the hair becomes thick.
- While you let the hair grow on your chin area, keep the other part of your face clean-shaven.
- When your beard has grown about half an inch, you can now work on it to shape a very nice goatee.
Grooming a goatee
- Make sure your goatee has the same width with your mouth.
- Look at the mirror, smile, then shave the goatee perimeter alongside your dimples or smile lines.
- Define a straight line with your goatee’s outer edges or you may have them slightly curved. But as much as possible, make a smooth line.
- Make it balanced, so don’t be in hurry while shaving the sides. Pause for a while if necessary, then proceed and check if you achieve symmetry.
- If you don’t go for a caveman, round off the hair underneath your chin. But if you have a lesser chin, you may leave it a little longer.
- To know the trendy goatee variations, check the latest issue of the magazine Rolling Stone.
Now that you have your desired goatee groomed well, compose yourself and let this emanate your self-confidence. After all, it all depends on how you carry yourself. With a well-trimmed goatee, you’ll become more likeable to the ladies out there.
4. Mutton Chops
The mutton chop facial hairstyle is quite old. Some sources trace it back to 1865. Many people considered this style as huge, glorified sideburns. But now, many men sport mutton chops to have an alternative, unusual look. Though this may be an outdated style, it can still be a good facial hairstyle to consider today. At any rate, it all depends on how you carry yourself.
Sporting mutton chops nowadays is not a bad idea at all. For as long as it defines your uniqueness and you are pretty confident with it, that’s what matters most. This may not be an ideal look in today’s generation but with mutton chops, you can have an outstanding look. You will not have a hard time growing this type of facial hair. And if you’re into growing a beard, then you can easily grow mutton chops. Here are some practical tips in this regard.
◦Don’t cut your sideburns. Just let these grow. Having thick sideburns is one way to set up a good appearance with mutton chops. You cannot just rely on your beard to cover your face for some set of chops.
◦Let your mustache grow simultaneously with the sideburns. You may even let this facial hair grow beyond both edges of your mouth. You can trim those above your top lip. But as to the sides, just let these hang down to your chin.
◦While you grow both sideburns and mustache, continue shaving your chin portion, from your mouth’s ends all the way down to your neck.
◦Cut the sideburns when they finally meet the mustache’s edges. There shouldn’t be seen any skin between these two hair lines. But do not let the sideburns to overlap the mustache.
◦If you want to have a cleaner mutton chop look, let this stand alone without the other facial hair. Clear that mustache then let the sideburns to keep on growing down to your chin. As the hair grows, you can define its shape. And once they’ve reached your chin, you may shape the hair so that it falls down with style.
Beard Styles for different Face Shape
There are lots of unique styles available when it comes to styling the mens facial hair. Some men may decide on the traditional way on wearing a goatee, full beard or clean shaven face. And other men tried to experiment and create their own fashion of styling their own facial hair. Maybe you cannot imagine that the best male fashion accessory is the beard, but there are lots of things to consider and one of them is what style you are going to wear.
Identify Your Face Shape To Choose The Perfect Beard Style:
It is very much down to individual choice when it comes to shaving. On the other hand, everyone needs to consider the shape of the face when choosing the ideal beard style just like when deciding for a pair of glasses and shades. Every face is unique and as well as the beard style too.
Do You Have A Small or Large Face?
If your face is small then you will end up choosing the beard styles correspond to this. It is not definitely nice to see a large beard to a small face and other people will likely see it not in proportion. Men with small faces must consider the little details beards or else you will be swamped.
If you are one of the large headed men, I mean literally quite than figuratively, still you need to consider the proportion. Large headed men with tiny beard will normally look their head much bigger like an over blown balloon. Just always put in mind that both small and large headed men must not take for granted the general shapes and must apply the style appropriately.
Beard Styles for Square or Round Face
Men with round face must use the beard to lengthen out the shape by wearing the beard longer at the chin. Always maintain the sides short with length at the chin portions. With that, you can have a longer face appearance. Another selection to consider is the typical goatee.
You should cut the edges a little bit for those men belongs to square faces, therefore, relating to converse rule of the round headed style of beard, it must be shorter at the chin area and thicker at the chin portion. And there are instances that long side burns can help lengthen a mens face. A goatee will also probably work but keep in mind not to make it narrow and always maintain the length in the chin area.
Beard With A Long Face?
You don’t have to emphasize the length when you have belongs to the long face category. Hence, the reverse rule of men with round face is just a way to go. To give your face thicker look you must thicken also the sides. If you are a little bit thin and slender in the cheeks portion, wearing a thicker side can surely give you good look.
Oval Shape Means Freedom Of Choice
Oval shape is also known as the king shape of all shapes when talking about beards. You can have your own experiment since most of the beard styles are suited to this shape.
In shaving a beard, it must be fun and enjoyable experience. What’s important is that you made your own decision and you feel happy and more comfortable with it.
Do You Want to Grow a Goatee without a Mustache?
Facial hair adds significantly to any wardrobe or hairstyle that you want. Men with goatees have always been known to exhibit sexual virility, knowledge, masculinity, and wisdom. Yet, other people think of men as primitive, unclean, and strange, whenever they see goatees. Growing a goatee without a mustache can make or break your looks.
Traditionally, a goatee is a patch of hair growth just below you lower lip until your entire chin area. Many mustache-less goatee styles are gaining popularity. Below are some of them and what they can say about you:
1. Traditional Goatee (No Mustache)
In this goatee, your goatee’s edges are left vertical or rounded. This goatee style shows that you are a man with traditional style.
2.Balbo Goatee (No Mustache)
This is done to form an inverted “T”, resembling a ship’s anchor. Balbo looks good on men with square or round-shaped faces, If you have this goatee, then you are sending a message that you’re an outdoor, rugged person.
3.Chin Strap Goatee (No Mustache)
The chin strap goatee involves a thin line of hair from one of your sideburns to the other. The line of hair goes through the chin line. This goatee style reflects your dramatic side.
4.Soul Patch Goatee (No Mustache)
This style is the smallest goatee ever created. It is also known as Mouche or the Imperial. The Soul Patch is often seen just below the lip, without a mustache. It makes you look artistic, creative, energetic, and youthful.
5.Tailback Goatee (No Mustache)
Also known as the Hollywoodian, the tailback goatee is created from a full beard. You just shave the beard down, to produce a straight cut that stretches horizontally from each of the corners of your mouth. It signals people to give you the prestige and the respect you deserve.
Do You Want a Beard Neckline?
Some men like trimming their beard neckline too high, up to their jaw line. You should try your best to avoid this move because it shows people that your beard is already too small to fit your face.
Take note that you do not need to trim your beard into a beard neckline. It is much better to grow it naturally. Just don’t allow it to reach your chest hair (If you have any) or you will look like a transforming werewolf.
Picking Up the Right Equipments
To do the right job, one needs the correct equipments that can handle the chore perfectly. In this article where we are talking about top beard ideas, you will need the trimmers and shavers to copy the stubble trends. Therefore, I am going to recommend you a groomer and a shaver that together would make your job much easier.
1. You Can Achieve This Look with the Phillips Norelco 3500 Beard Trimmer. It has a huge 20 built in length settings and provides a lot of versatility with this model. You can deliver precise lines and angles, to achieving almost any beard is possible. It has rounded tips for a skin friendly shave, you will not experience skin burn like you would with a cheaper model.
2. Talking about the shaver, I would definitely recommend you to pick up the Philips Norelco Shaver 4500 that is flawless in its job. It boasts of a mighty motor and self sharpening blades that would assist you in daily normal and rough shaving. In my review, It performed buttery smooth and thus, is a complete value to the money.
Top Beard Ideas to Consider
Below are some head-turning beard ideas that you just might want to try at some point:
1. The Age Gracefully Look – Pulled off George Clooney
One of the best men who can always get away with a beard and a mustache is George Clooney. If being a worldwide super-famous actor, producer, writer and director wasn’t enough.
He still has time to rock some seriously stylish facial hair. Aging gracefully with it.
How to Achieve the George Clooney Look
The good news is, achieving the George Clooney beard isn’t difficult. The bad news is, you aren’t going to instantly become as attractive as him. But nethertheless, this is how you can replicate this facial hair:
- Depending on the speed that your facial hair grows, allow your whole beard to grow out around 1cm.
- Shave your neck with a razor as close to the skin as you can.
- Follow your own jaw-line, taking care of all the hair under your jaw.
- Tidy up the edges across your cheeks to form a straight line.
- Use a beard comb to keep all the hair looking sharp.
- For ongoing maintenance use a beard trimmer to keep the hair at around 1cm.
2. The Ruggedly Handsome Look – Effortlessly Carried off by Joe Manganiello
Joe Manganiello is the perfect model for this look. Known as an even furrier looking character as a werewolf in True Blood, I think he looks better with this 2-3 day shadow.
You can achieve this, too, if you trim every 2-5 days. Take note that you have to fade that hair on your neck to give a natural look.
How to Achieve the Joe Manganiello Look
Joe Mangeniello has that classic rugged model look, and it’s pretty easy to do as well. There isn’t a lot of maintenance involved, and it relies on having that day after look. Here is how you can pull off the same look:
- Starting with a blank canvas, allow a few days growth.
- Shave a goatee in, some faint chin straps are optional as sometimes this look carries those.
- Keep the sideboards, as illustrated in the picture above.
- Give your neck a clean and close shave.
- Allow 2-3 day shadow on the rest of your face, and pull off that rugged look.
3. The Cool Look – With Henrik Lundqvist
A decorated ice hockey player, Henrik Lundquist clearly puts some thought into his beard.
This beard style gives anyone a rakish, confident look. Just don’t forget to trim slightly with a trusty beard trimmer, I can’t promise you it will improve your ice hockey skills. But it’ll give you a more stylish edge.
How to Achieve the Henrik Lundqvist Look
The Henrik Lundqvist illustrated in the picture above is another low maintenance beard. Which is great for those of us in a hurry, or not into spending longer in front of the mirror than their other halves. Here is how you can achieve this look:
- Starting with a clean shaven face, allow a few days growth.
- Use a razor to keep the edges clean, shave the collar line, the cheek lines and any other stray hairs.
- Now just simply use a good beard trimmer to maintain the length of the hair.
- No more shaving rash, nicks and cuts, and you’re good all year round.
4. The Sporty Look – Play it Like LeBron
This new bearded look for LeBron James has a clean neck line and even consistency. It really highlights his jaw line, making it more chiseled.
Granted, no one can match LeBron on the court for skills and finesse. But with a bream grooming kit, a sharp jaw line, and some hair growth like his. You can pull this off and be the envy of your friends.
How to Achieve the LeBron James Look
LeBron James has one of the most famous beards to don a man’s face. With men all over the world envious of his trim, here is how you can achieve the same look. This has to come with the disclaimer that not everyone can pull it off however. You need a good thick, coarse facial hair.
- Start with a clean shaven face and allow a few days growth.
- Get yourself some good quality edging beard trimmers.
- Craft your desired shape out just like LeBron.
- Take your time, it’s not easy to do and mistakes can set you back days.
- Keep the clean shaven areas close to the face, and trim the beard daily.
5. The Full Beard Look
This is a classic look for men. It gives you credibility, masculinity, power, and age. When you see a man with a full beard, it’s really hard not to trust him.
Full-bearded men are very attractive to women ages 30 and above. Don’t be fooled by the unkempt look on most men, it takes a little TLC to keep it in top shape.
How to Achieve the Full Beard Look
The full beard look is one of the most popular looks right now. It’s not as simple as just leaving your face along for a few months mind, you’ll need to keep that bushy beard groomed. Here is how you can grow a beard to make others stop and stare:
- Allow you beard to grow how nature takes its course for a few weeks.
- Once you have some beard to work with, you can start to keep it looking full and shiny.
- Use beard oils to keep it nourished and full-looking.
- Trim the stray edges as per your own taste. The cheek lines, and neck line should be trimmed.
- Comb it to keep it in order, and keep an eye for any crumbs getting caught up in it!
6. The Confident Look – Represented by Russell Brand
Russell Brand’s beard and mustache shape his face well, even if the hair on his head is not that cooperative and hot looking all the time.
He oozes confidence. The way he carries himself, the way he talks, and the way he performs on screen. So this beard is appropriate for him, and may also be so for you.
How to Achieve the Confident Look
Admittedly, to pull off a confident beard, it needs a confident platform. So if you’re the confident type, this is going to be the perfect marriage. It’s not difficult to do, but lends itself to those with the softer facial hair:
- Allow your facial hair to grow out for a week or so.
- Add some defined shape by shaving the neck, and trimming the cheek lines.
- Put some work into the chin strap if you have a fuller look than Russell Brand.
- Use a trimmer every few days, don’t over the do the maintenance as it works better slightly rough around the edges.
7. The Mustache-Goatee Look – With Kanye West
Dark-skinned men always look good in this look. It is their facial hairstyle of choice. This beard idea lets women know that they are controlled, conscientious, masculine, and strong.
While Kanye Wests’ music and attitude isn’t to everyone’s taste, you have to give him some style points for rocking the mustache-goatee look perfectly.
How to Achieve the Mustache-Goatee Look
It always seems like nothing is good enough for Kanye West. Apparently either the tash’, or the chin beard wasn’t either. Hence why he pulls off both at the same time, and its set quite the trend. Here is how you can follow said trend:
- Get your best razor or electric shaver to hand, you’ll need a close shave for this one.
- Shave the face, leaving the mustache and chin beard as seen in the picture.
- This look is at its sharpest the day you close shave, so do this as often as you comfortably can.
- Keep the chin beard and mustache trimmed to the desired length with beard trimmers.
8. The Playboy Look – Sung by Adam Levine
This scruffy look is sexy to most women. Females will give you second looks with this facial hairstyle. Just look at Adam Levine. Any guy has to keep a close eye on his girlfriend if you sport this look.
Make sure you shave the hair right under your Adam’s apple. You don’t need to be able to sing as well as Adam to get the chicks, just pull of the beard as well.
How to Achieve the Playboy Look
The good news for us guys is that women like this look. Ok, maybe more so attached to Adam Levine, but we can all try it too. It’s easy to do, based on the fact that it’s mostly just unshaven, scruffy and lacking grooming. Here is how you can do this:
- Let your facial hair grow untamed.
- Don’t overdo the scruffy, trim up any stray hairs.
- Trim every few days and enjoy the lack of maintenance.
9. The Clean Shaven Stubbled Look – By Jake Gyllenhall
This look is not intimidating to women. It looks good in both older and younger men. It gives you a neat and rough look at the same time.
Jake Gyllenhall can do no wrong when it comes to his career it seems. So backing the same beard as him can’t be a bad option. This is an easy, quick facial hair look. Definitely worth a trail, see how it goes.
How to Achieve the Clean Shaven Stubbled Look
This is a look for the beginners and facial hair conscious alike. It’s kind of an introduction to having and growing some stubble, and seeing how it’s received by those around you. It’s quick, easy, and looks great – here’s how you can achieve it:
- Get a clean and close shave all over.
- Leave your face a couple of days and rock the stubble look. Simple as that.
- Trim down the neck every day to keep the stubble to the face.
- Repeat every couple of days.
These beard ideas have been tested and tried to get the attention of women. If you want to transform yourself with a mustache and a beard, go for it! Facial hair is sexy when you know what you’re doing.
When it comes to beard trimming, some men are not really particular with the right manner of using a beard trimmer. For as long as they are convenient on how they do it and satisfied with the outcome, that’s what matters the most. Trimming a beard looks like a very easy task but actually there are proper procedures to do it for a safe and sound trimming experience all throughout. Since beard grooming is part of men’s lifestyle, it has to be done appropriately to avoid untoward circumstances.
Beard maintenance also involves some precautionary measures to ensure that everything will go smoothly. Even if it requires less effort, you still need to know the basics on how to maintain a beard to achieve the desired beard styles without encountering any problem along the way. Just like any other undertaking, beard care entails not only trimming the facial hair per se but taking such action with safety measures in mind alongside getting that fresh appearance as always.
Get a Trimmer
To start with the trimming session, take it slow and just trim a small bit at a time. Don’t be in a hurry in using the beard and moustache trimmer to cut off everything. Gently guide the mustache trimmer through the facial hair to have a save trimming experience. Doing so certainly brings favorable outcome unlike taking the hair off at a fast pace with your stubble trimmer that sometimes lead to having a cut. Beard and mustache trimmers are perfect grooming tools but if used inaccurately, you’ll definitely suffer the consequences.
A goatee trimmer has some attachment tools and unique features suitable for various trimming sessions. Use only the right tool applicable for your trimming activity. It doesn’t matter where you start trimming as long as you only have one stroke all the way. Some men prefer beard trimmers with vacuum due to its special vacuum feature that gathers the facial hair. With vacuum beard trimmers, no hairs will be spread all over the face. Electric beard trimmers are likewise preferred by most men due to its advance features.
Using the right Tools
At any rate, choose only the precise tool to clip on the facial hair trimmer. In trimming the main part of the beard, you may start on the right or left portion, hold the hair trimmer at its bottom and proceed with the trimming in an upward motion. Continue doing it until everything’s properly trimmed just the way you want it. Whatever the case may be, you can actually get rid with your facial hair completely using beard trimmers which can also be used as hair trimmers. For those who have short hair, hair trimmer for men is enough for this purpose.
Right after trimming, it’s best to use shaving cream to replace lost moisture and rinse afterward with dry towel. With the right beard trimmers, you are definitely on the right track toward getting that good appearance which enhances self-confidence. But make sure to properly use the beard and hair trimmer for your safety.